Seventeenth International Conference on Design Principles & Practices
March 29 - 31, 2023
Escola Superior de Educação de Lisboa, Campus de Benfica
Welcome to the micro-site for the Seventeenth International Conference on Design Principles & Practices.
Founded in 2007, the Design Principles & Practices Research Network offers an interdisciplinary forum to explore the meaning and purpose of design. In professional and disciplinary terms, the network traverses a broad sweep to construct a trans-disciplinary dialogue, which encompasses a wide array of design paradigms and practices. We move between theoretical reflection on the nature of design and case studies of design practice, and from research-based perspectives to the experience-based perspectives of design insiders. Our aim is to build an epistemic community where we can make linkages across disciplinary, geographic, and cultural boundaries. As a Research Network, we are defined by our scope and concerns and motivated to build strategies for action framed by our shared themes and tensions.
- 2023 Special Focus—New Agendas for Design: Principles of Scale, Practices of Inclusion
- Theme 1: Design Education
- Theme 2: Design in Society
- Theme 3: Designed Objects
- Theme 4: Visual Design
- Theme 5: Design Management and Professional Practice
- Theme 6: Architectonic, Spatial, and Environmental Design
We are interested in the following lines of investigation:
- On learning to become a designer.
- On the social sources of design and the social effects of design.
- On the nature and form of the objects of design.
- On representation using mediums of visual communication.
- On the organization of design, design work, and design as a professional practice.
- On constructing spaces, environments, and sustainable design practices.